My kids voted this recipe an all time top 5. No one will realize they are free of gluten, grains and processed junk so serve them to all of your fiends, health nuts or not.
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup freshly ground flax seeds
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup maple syrup powder
1 tsp. arrowroot flour/starch
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
4 pasture raised eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup raw honey
1/3 cup palm shortening, melted
2 Tbsp. vanilla
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
Maple Cinnamon Glaze
3/4 cup maple syrup powder
2 Tbsp. butter (substitute sustainably harvested palm shortening for dairy free)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the donut pans with sustainably harvested palm oil or coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl whisk together almond flour, ground flax, tapioca flour, coconut flour, maple syrup powder, arrowroot flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg until well blended. Add eggs, apple sauce, honey, melted palm shortening, vanilla and apple cider vinegar. Whisk until well combined and no lumps remain. Let batter rest and thicken, about 5 minutes.
3. Spoon the batter into the donut pans, filling the wells to about 1/8″ shy of the rim. Bake for 11-13 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and wait 5 to 7 minutes before turning them out of the pans onto a rack.
for the glaze
1. Add all of the glaze ingredients to a medium saucepan over low heat whisking occasionally until smooth and melted.
2. Pour the glaze into a bowl about 4 inches wide and 1 to 2 inches high. Whisk occasionally until the glaze thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
3. Dip the donuts in the glaze then return them to the racks to dry.
Store donuts in an airtight glass container. Donuts will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, refrigerated for up to 10 days and frozen for up to 1 month.